Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Made It to the Desert

Vintage Bill Blass Silk Scarf

A month after leaving Eugene, Oregon, I finally made it to Desert Hot Springs, one of the desert towns in the Palm Springs area. I am staying here in one place, the Catalina Spa & RV Resort (which, of course, I immediately dubbed the Cat Spa), for about a week. This is one of those Coast to Coast campground deals, so once again I have lots of nice amenities for just $10 per night, plus a little more to have Internet.

The Cat Spa is really out in the boonies, actually outside of Desert Hot Springs, and I'm glad I realized this before I got here so I could go into town first to mail eBay packages and stock up on groceries. I had about a dozen packages to mail, auctions that I'd listed while in San Francisco. Now that I'm staying in one place for a while, I've just finished listing another batch of things.

I haven't taken any desert pictures yet, so I'm including photos from some of my new eBay listings. This morning I woke up and the first thing I did was go for a nice walk all around the Cat Spa. I saw quail and ducks and lots of other photogenic critters, but didn't have the camera with me.

This is my first time, since turning 55 last year, staying in a 55+ community. Man, it's pretty weird! Some of the women are okay, but the old men remind me of my ex's worst characteristics. One guy pedantically explained to me how weather patterns work from LA to this part of California, but my ears stopped listening really fast and I'm pretty sure my eyes glazed over, too, and I almost stopped breathing. Okay, it wasn't quite that bad, but you who know me in person know that I'm just not much of a people-person. So this is a new challenge. I hope I can learn to serenely float through situations which used to bother me.

There probably won't be a lot of exciting news from me over the next few days, and I think that's a good thing, don't you?

2 comments:

  1. After reading your blog, I googled Thousand Trails, and the website talks about free nights after you pay a membership fee, I'm wondering what the $10 charge is for, or are there different memberships. Is Coast to Coast different than Thousand Trails?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Coast to Coast is different. You pay an initial fee that is much less than what it costs to join 1000 Trails. But then you pay a small amount for each night of camping. The amount you pay depends on what kind of arrangements Coast to Coast has with various campgrounds. Usually it's $10 or $15 a night. There are some other memberships that are similar; I also have one called RPI. So far these have been an excellent investment for me.

    ReplyDelete