Saturday, May 14, 2011

Living in a House Without Wheels, Day 2

T-Shirt I purchased at my last campground

Serenbe, Palmetto, Georgia

Today I am writing my 51st post and I now have 51 overt followers (plus I understand there are lurkers!). I have arrived, in more senses than one.

I am here in Serenbe, the intentional community where I'll be housesitting for a few weeks. I've been warmly welcomed by Sarah, the homeowner whose pets I'll be caring for while she bikes her way through Italy, and her neighbors. Since arriving less than 48 hours ago, I've been invited to a private AA house meeting, a Buddhist meditation group, a yoga class, a gallery opening, and an interfaith Sunday meeting. Plus I'm making arrangements to meet some other full-time RVers I've met online who are based nearby. Wow! My dance card is pretty full already!

Sarah's two dogs, Buddy and Skipper, are great guys--big labs who go walking about four times a day. Her cats, Cousteau and Lily, are also very pleasant creatures. Nevertheless, my own kitty, Sonja, seems to be better off not becoming fully integrated into the household. She and I are staying in a very nice bedroom/bathroom suite where I can keep the door closed.

I can tell I'm going to get in shape--no, let's make that "even better shape"--during my stay here. I have not lived anywhere with stairs for a long time. Here I am constantly up and down the stairs, because I'm using the bedroom upstairs as well as an office in the basement, plus there are the dog walks. I haven't been able to weigh myself for a long time, but I am pretty sure from the looseness of my clothes that I've lost at least 10 pounds in the past three months. And here in Serenbe, where there is an organic farm, I'll be eating very healthy. No meat molecules have passed my lips since my arrival. I'm also finding more time for meditation, reading and general relaxation than I've had while crossing the country in the Guppy.

Today there is a May Day festival here in Serenbe, which is a fundraiser for the local charter school. Sarah's house is less than a half block from the festivities, so as I sit here on the porch, I can hear the sweet sounds of Southern rock and the happy voices of hundreds of people, plus one kid who seems to be screaming because her pony ride ended too soon. I'm having a relaxing day, airing out my quilt tops on Sarah's porch, talking to folks who stop by. I met with Paige, the manager of Serenbe Farms and the Saturday farmers market, and I am accepted to sell my quilts while I'm here. So this week I'll be getting them assembled and tied. I'll be here long enough to make some more, too, and I hope I can scare up some more vintage fabric while I'm here.

It is very interesting to live in a house after three months of being on the road. This home is really nice, and I could write paragraphs just about the functionalities of the kitchen appliances alone (but I promise I won't!). Being here makes me think of what I've left behind in my life and, while I'd sometimes like some wallspace to hang some quality artwork or the luxury of a bathtub, I am grateful for my life today, exactly as it is. I have the freedom to visit places like this and be a part of them for a while. Idyllic as Serenbe is on this celebratory day, I am sure I will be ready to move on to new adventures when the time comes. I'll leave here enriched in so many ways.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks like a really nice place. AND you can sell your quilts, too. The gate in the dog photo is pretty neat. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am having fun...although I have to admit it feels a little weird to have so much space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your experiences sound so exciting to me. Getting involved with a community as you travel is something I would also like to do. What a learning experience you are having.

    ReplyDelete