Sunday, January 30, 2011
Dolphin Remodel--The Reveal!
Wow, what a difference a day makes, as the old song says. I have been on pins and needles, waiting to get my Toyota Dolphin back from the carpenter. It is finally (nearly) finished and I was able to take it home for overnight visitation before it goes to the mechanic tomorrow. Now instead of being on pins and needles, I'm walking on air. I spent most of today in the Dolphin, measuring and cutting and putting up Contac paper and all that happy stuff.
On the left is a picture of the dinette area, without the table in place. There is a little storage under the seats. The table will drop down to convert the seating area into an extra bed for when I have a friend or family member visiting me. I re-used the five-inch foam that used to be in the cabover sleeping area to cut cushions for the seats, and I will be covering those over the next few days. I found a really great tropical print!
The picture on the right shows the new workbench with an open area beneath it for storage. This is where I will put some Rubbermaid bins that contain my eBay inventory, shipping supplies, art supplies, etc. I'll install a cargo net to keep the Rubbermaid bins from moving around while I'm driving. I'm also going to make some curtains to replace the saggy old blinds.
I've purchased a couple of folding stools to use at this big counter. I used it today for the first time and it was great--perfect height.
This picture is a close-up of the birch wood and fir trim that Eric used for the built-ins. It's nice! Later this week, after the mechanic is done with whatever needs fixing, Eric is going to give the woodwork one more protective coat, install the table, and take care of any punchlist type items. Then my motorhome should be ready to rodeo!
I have only had the Guppy back in my possession for today, so I haven't gotten started on sewing the cushion covers or curtains yet, but I'm sure looking forward to it! In the meantime, I did a bit of hippification of my sleeping quarters: